Leaver Park Group
Leaver Park Group
Leaver Park (located in the upper reaches of the Paddy’s River, near the Bundanoon Sandstone Quarry) was the favourite local “swimming pool” for the Bundanoon area. Herbert Ellsmore, President of Wingecarribee Shire Council, opened the Leaver Park recreation area on 23rd December 1933, in time for the Christmas holidays. In that year mostly voluntary labour erected a springboard, cleared the pool of fallen timber, and built shelter sheds. With a direct course of 70 to 80 yards, the pool was suitable for swimming, while boating and punting took place on the river, and locals and visitors alike picnicked in the pleasant surrounds. In the summer of 1933-1934 over 2000 people visited the pool.
Leaver Park’s heyday, however, was short-lived, and by 1937 improvements were needed, as the pool was out of date and not in good condition. In its time as a popular area to go to, there was a kiosk and grassed area and, with accommodation nearby, it was very popular throughout the year. The area continued to be used by locals, and in the Sesquicentenary Year, 2015, BCA chose rejuvenating Leaver Park as one of the projects to be a legacy of 150 years as a community. Following a huge ‘Clean Up Australia’ event in 2015, rejuvenating Leaver Park has been increasingly supported by volunteers coming forward to be involved. Over the next year or two, there will be a significant bush regeneration project completed, soft unobtrusive walking tracks will be developed with descriptive signage about the environment and habitat visitors are walking through, a picnic area, shelter shed and hopefully the return of the much remembered sphinx sculpted from an ant hill that was in the early park.
For Further Information
For further information or offers to assist with the regeneration, contact the Convenor of the Leaver Park Group BCA Sub-Committee, Christine Miller, on 4883 7493, or 0410 173 093, or Email email@example.com